CONSTRUCTION - NTP

baierle

I would like to get some guidance or advice on what is common practice when working construction contracting:

Is the notice to proceed issued after all submittals have been submitted/approved? My position is to issue NTP after bonding and insurance have been verified, and the submittal process is part of the entire performance period up to competion and including final cleanup.

I have someone challenging me on this position and I have remained firm, so far. I told them they have 90 days from NTP to final completion and submittal process is part of that time. If the submittal process was arduous and lengthy, they could request with supporting documents/proof of such delay impacting their work schedule and we may consider an extension.

Is this a typical position or do my colleagues practice differently? Is there written guidance on this matter anywhere?

Looking forward to hearing back from you acquisition professionals!!

eb

• 1 year later...
I would like to get some guidance or advice on what is common practice when working construction contracting:

Is the notice to proceed issued after all submittals have been submitted/approved? My position is to issue NTP after bonding and insurance have been verified, and the submittal process is part of the entire performance period up to competion and including final cleanup.

I have someone challenging me on this position and I have remained firm, so far. I told them they have 90 days from NTP to final completion and submittal process is part of that time. If the submittal process was arduous and lengthy, they could request with supporting documents/proof of such delay impacting their work schedule and we may consider an extension.

Is this a typical position or do my colleagues practice differently? Is there written guidance on this matter anywhere?

Looking forward to hearing back from you acquisition professionals!!

eb

Sorry that I missed this original post.

The Corps of Engineers ACO offices generally issue the NTP during the post award conference or just before or after that meeting (also commonly referred to as the "pre-con". This meeting is set up as soon as possible after receipt of required bonds and insurance, similar to baierle's scenario.

The DOD and NASA maintain Unified Facility Guide Specifications (UFGS) found at the Whole Building Design Guide website. I work for HQUSACE. Last spring, one of our Districts discovered that the Guide Spec for Progress Schedules had been changed to state that NTP issuance would be after all submittals, schedules and other pre-construction requirements were complete. Upon investigation, I discovered that NASA is the current proponent for updates and that they had made this drastic change to the UFGS. Apparently NASA issues the NTP as described in the original post. Well, obviously, this can add a significant amount of undeterminable time to the overall construction schedule, especially where one or both parties aren't diligent in their duties in handling such submittals.

We directed the UFGS committee to delete this wording for Army projects in the UFGS.

Thanks, Carl. I wondered how I missed this thread. Baireli must have posted the question in duplicate threads. Gosh time flies. I thought that happened this past spring, not last year!

• 3 months later...
My co-workers generally issue the NTP after the Schedule of Values has been approved.

What is the "Schedule of Values"? Is it a price breakdown of the various activities that must be included in the project network or bar chart schedule? If so, I disagree with waiting to issue the notice to proceed until after this has been approved. This is a contract administrative compliance requirement that should be completed during contract performance. We specify such requirements in the Progress Schedule specification section. A contractor would probably include such efforts under "general conditions".

• 3 weeks later...