Post Employment Travel Expenses

bigred

I have an employee on assignment in Belgium under a Government contract. This employee has chosen to terminate his employment with my company at the end of the month, but he would like to stay overseas for several weeks for personal travel. This employee is asking us if he will still be able to submit an expense voucher for the return plane ticket when he is technically not an employee. The answer to this question is something that my HR and Accounting Department will have to answer.

My ultimate question/concern for the WIFCON community is whether or not the Government will reimburse my company for this individuals flight home when at the time of his return trip he will be more than a month removed from supporting the contract ?

You'd have to ask the CO from your agency, it likely depends on the agency and their guidelines. That said, FTR does allow for a personal vacation between TDY ending and returning, and would pay for the flight. I don't know about a month, but we (gov. employees) are allowed to stay over a few extra days and have our trip back paid for.

Guest Vern Edwards

This is a question of cost allowability and the answer will depend on several factors, including the specific terms of the contract. I don't see how any of us can provide a reliable answer without a lot more information, and even then I'm not sure that the answer would be reliable. You should discuss this with your own contracting staff and with the contracting officer. If I were you I'd want an answer from the CO in writing or an answer given orally that I could confirm in writing.

Does your contract have a Logistics Annex specific to folks assigned overseas? You did not say whether the person was in Belgium TDY or on PCS basis. Some contracts with folks permanently assigned overseas have a logistics annex that already covers this type of situation,