Telecommunication Acquisitions

I am looking for information on how to procure telecommunications services. Do these actions fall under normal acquisition procedures, i.e. FAR Part 12? Besides cell phones, which I know are commercial, I also have requirements for landlines, cable tv and cell phones that are strictly used for revenue metering. I've read FAR part 41 - Acquisition of Utility Services and I'm still not sure on how to proceed. Any guidance is appreciated.

Have you contacted your directorate of information management or your contracting office or your installation management office? The utility companies may have a monopoly on your installation (like a single phone, cable, electricity, or water provider).

I am the contracting office. I forgot to mention that these actions weren't previously done in the contracting office and we have been told the way we used to do it is wrong. So now we are tasked to take it over and I'm just trying to weed out what should and shouldn't be done in the procurement office. Nobody else seems to know the answers therefore I've been asked to research it and figure it out. I don't believe there is a monopoly for the phones, not sure about the cable. Electricity and water is not on my list.

We have been told, by our Directorate, to compete and comply with FAR for our telecommunication requirements, including cell phones and revenue meters. Not sure that is completely accurate re: the previous reply and the FAR cite. However, in the end, we are acquiring the cell phone and revenue metering services under GSA contract, so all is well for us, at least. You may want to review the GSA contracts with Verizon, Sprint, Alltell, & the others.