Contract Modifications Box 13

Hello all. I have been doing modifications for several years not to contracts and recently I was assigned to a new division. I am now being told that you must check more than one box in section 13. I need some guidance. I cannot find anything in 43 that says one way or another. If anyone can chime in it would be great. Thanks.

Why would you need to check more than one box (I can only assume that they are telling you two of the first four items need to be checked)? Even the form says to "check one". Unless they are also saying that you need to check one of the four AND the part below it on whether the vendor needs to sign it or not. But what are your people saying as a reason for needing two boxes checked? In my office we check one of the four in section 13 PLUS for E. we mark whether the vendor has to sign or not.

Well construction is out of my normal realm so I won't comment more on which box to be checked and what authority. But the form still seems to say 'Check One'. I suppose you could check more than one but I don't see why you would need to check more than one as long as you can list one 'authority'.

• 3 months later...

Block 13 on the SF30 has Blocks 13A through 13E. There are actually 2 boxes that are checked. Blocks 13A through 13D - check the one appropriate for the contract action (just check off one (1) box). Then go to block 13E where it says IMPORTANT: Contractor [ ] is not, [ ] is required to sign this document and return _____ copies to the issuing office. Check the appropriate box.

Yes, Block 13 on the SF30 requires 2 blocks to be checked.

Denise is correct. See the form instructions in FAR Part 53, FAR 53.301-30. It tells you to do exactly what Denise has told you to do. More specifically it says "Check the appropriate box to indicate the type of modification. Insert in the corresponding blank the authority under which the modification is issued. Check whether or not contractor must sign this document. (see FAR 43.103)" FAR 43.103 defines the modification types. Now who is telling you and exactly what are they telling you?

From my understanding of what mrbatesville is saying, he is being told he needs to check 2 boxes from parts 13A, 13B, 13C and 13D. 13E is not one of his two checks he is asking about (see his second post).