FedBid auction - seller comments

brian

I've placed about 15 bids through this system, and have yet to win anything.

Every bid I've placed went straight into LAG status, meaning I didn't hit their target price.

Or possibly that they already had a lower bid.

Every time I think I've been the low bidder, the requirement gets canceled or reposted.

Yesterday I posted a very conservative bid, allowing for unexpected contingencies, and they emailed me to say my price was awfully high, and asking me to verify my pricing.

So, buyers who use this system:

how is it working out for you ?

brian,

I'm surprised no one responded to your questions.

From what I've seen, the concept just isn't working. The buyers I knew that were originally interested no longer are. They feel it places too much emphasis on price and ignores some of aspects of buying such as past performance and factors like long term product support.

Hopefully more people will add to what I said.

I've placed about 15 bids through this system, and have yet to win anything.

Every bid I've placed went straight into LAG status, meaning I didn't hit their target price.

Or possibly that they already had a lower bid.

Every time I think I've been the low bidder, the requirement gets canceled or reposted.

Yesterday I posted a very conservative bid, allowing for unexpected contingencies, and they emailed me to say my price was awfully high, and asking me to verify my pricing.

So, buyers who use this system:

how is it working out for you ?

To add a contractor in the middle of federal simplified acquisitions for materials and simple services made no sense when GSA and FedBizOps was available without a fee. I never, ever used FedBid. I could be wrong about this but it is my understanding that the contract expires in June and the option is not being exercised. Has anyone else heard this?

I had also heard that the option was not being exercised.

I never had much luck with FedBid as a buyer. In one particular instance, the specifications clearly stated (I am making up exactly what we needed to protect the identity of the particular vendor) we needed a three-pronged widget. The vendor gave a quote and specs for a two-pronged widget. When I ended the buy, I got a very angry phone call from the vendor wanting to know why he was not awarded the contract. When I explained his items did not meet the specs, he told me that nowhere in my RFQ did it state the need for a three-pronged widget. I asked the vendor to read the first line of the description. His response was, oh, you expect us to read? Ummm, yeah...we sure do!

You can't make this stuff up. My supervisor was in my office with me at the time, and after the phone call ended, we laughed for an hour. We still giggle about it every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

It is my impression that I've won 6 FedBid competitions.

I can't prove that.

One was reposted, but I never saw the reposted item. I suspect it was awarded at a higher price than my price on the original posting.

On another, the contract was awarded to another bidder at a higher price. When I complained, it was canceled.

I suspect it was later reacquired through another avenue that avoided public notice and competition, so that the preferred vendor could win.

Two were canceled, and my price was fairly high because the requirement was pretty open-ended, possibly leaving me liable for costs that should not have been part of the requirement, but could have been. A lot of the requirements posted there are vague. It made sense to cancel because my prices were so high.

But on the last two, I bid very competitively, and still they were canceled.

For one, long after bids closed, I was told that the requiring activity now realized that they really didn't need the services, after all. I didn't find that answer believable.

The last one was just canceled today. Bidding closed more than 2 weeks ago, and I've checked the status daily. It was listed as "Lag - pending selection" until this afternoon.

When I asked why it was canceled, I was told, "The _____ requirement will be procured through DAPS Defense Automation Production Service. They are a mandatory source." Ouch.

I can tell you, FedBid hasn't worked out so good for me, but I don't blame FedBid. Government purchasing people have been very sloppy when using this system. <_<

Can anyone tell me if DAPS Defense Automation Production Service really is a mandatory source ?

I've checked DFARS 208 and it doesn't say so, compared to FAR 8.8 which says GPO is mandatory for printing.

The DAPS website does not say they are a mandatory source, but that they are a preferred source.

Also, this is for electronic document services, not printing. Does that make a difference ?

thanks.

I looked at this issue about 18 months ago.

The DOD Directive 5330.03 dated February 8, 2006 defines the mission, responsibilities, functions and relationships of the Defense Automation and Production Service (DAPS). After reading it several times, I could not figure out for what supplies and services DAPS was a mandatory source. Therefore, I called a representative of the DAPS DC Office Group (703-325-9906). Here is what he said: only printing is mandatory; everything else is optional. Optional items include copiers and copier services, scanning, EDM solutions, and document management.

I confirmed this with a DAPS source at DAPS HQ in Mechanicsburg PA.

I looked at this issue about 18 months ago.

The DOD Directive 5330.03 dated February 8, 2006 defines the mission, responsibilities, functions and relationships of the Defense Automation and Production Service (DAPS). After reading it several times, I could not figure out for what supplies and services DAPS was a mandatory source. Therefore, I called a representative of the DAPS DC Office Group (703-325-9906). Here is what he said: only printing is mandatory; everything else is optional. Optional items include copiers and copier services, scanning, EDM solutions, and document management.

I confirmed this with a DAPS source at DAPS HQ in Mechanicsburg PA.

la bella Napoli - you da man!

thanks. This was an EDM requirement.