What are you listening to?

Guest Vern Edwards

Guest Vern Edwards

Not strictly a kosher contracting topic, but what the heck.

Band: The Gaslight Anthem

Song: "Changing of the Guards"

Album: "Chimes of Freedom" (January 2012)

Review: Five stars. It rocks! Sensational. Best version ever, with the possible exception of Patti Smith's awesome version on her 2007 album, "Twelve," which for some reason is not available on iTunes, but is available at Amazon.

The lyrics of that song are among the greatest in all of rock music. Historical. Mystical. Religious. Apocalyptic. ("A messenger arrived with a black nightingale.") The Gaslight Anthem leave out the last verse, which some have objected to, but I think it works for their version. Favorite line:

"Gentlemen, he said

I don’t need your organization, I’ve shined your shoes

I’ve moved your mountains and marked your cards

But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination

Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards."

I guess I'd better quit fooling around and do my real work before my editor sends assassins.

Fitz and the Tantrums - a little poppy but catchy - sounds a bit like a cross between Hall & Oates, classic Motown, and The Style Council.

Anything by Pat Metheny

Flamenco guitar (Ottmar Liebert, Strunz & Farah, Jesse Cook,et al), bossa nova (Getz/Jobim/Gilberto), or afro-cuban (Buena Vista Social club, et al)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vern Edwards

Artist: Tinariwen. Album: "Tasilli." Music from North Africa.

Artist: Romane. Album: "Swing for Ninine." French gypsy guitar.

Soundtrack: "Midnight in Paris."

Just started listening to Black Country Communion - both of their studio albums. See bccommunion.com/about for background on this amazing collection of rock talent.

Vern, Midnight in Paris is Great - my personal favorite is Bistro Fada by Stephane Wrembel.

Peter Green (Greenbaum) Fleetwood Mac. This is the original Mac, repeat original. Grab a compilation with the following.

-Need Your Love So Bad

-World Keeps Turning

-Man of the World

-Jumping at Shadows - a superb rendition of Duster Bennet's tune

-A Fool No More

Finest blues singing and guitarist of all times, Peter and original Mac got it right!

• 1 year later...

Here in my environment I am surrounded by loud people who have no consideration for anyone else within 100 feet. They use speaker phones, talk over cubicles and otherwise abandon common cubicle decorum. I bought Skull headphones, loaded over 150 CDs to my Samsung Galaxy Note II and now I can work in peace. Currently I am listening to the Jazz playlist which include Dave Koz, Clarence Clemons, Esperanza Spaulding, Geri Allen, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Haden, Harry Connick, Jr, Diana Krall, Chris Botti, Charlie Parker, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Mingus, Wynton Marsalis, John Coltrane, Chick Corea, and Herbie Hancock, just to name a few!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...