Incompetence

physiocrat

Oh my Vern and Don,

So, basic requirement for utility services FAR 41, obtained the GSA area wide contract and authorization form but the utility POC/signatory contact information was invalid. To Mr. GSA guy: Can you provide me with the current POC/Signatory?

Response: Well, the POC sometimes changes and the utility doesn't always provide us with the update but here is the utility's customer service number.

Anything wrong with the response?

Unbelievable.

Guest Vern Edwards

It's been many years since I did utility services contracts (for an Air Force base), but I remember that dealing with utilities was a pain, because they didn't care about the federal government's rules, procedures, and protocols. You either wanted the service or you didn't. If you did, then you did it their way. But maybe things have changed.

If things are pretty much the same, then the response probably reflects practical reality. GSA is probably lucky if the utility returns its phone calls. (And you'll be lucky if they return yours.) I'd cut GSA a break.

Agreed Vern, utility contracts are a pain and I'll do my best to cut the GSA guy a break but to make the individual agency users of the GSA area wide contracts obtain current POC/signatory information rather than requiring one GSA person to ensure that the information is up to date is certainly inefficient and evidence of poor contract administration.

At any rate, I just told Mr. GSA guy (and he's been fighting me and peppering me with incoherent emails so I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to do any work :rolleyes:), well let me know if my request (to update Sections 16.2 of the contract) falls outside the scope of your customer service/contract administration responsibilities.

I'll leave it at that per your advice, but keep up the good work and Merry Christmas!!

Sincerely,

Physiocrat