MACs vs MATOCs

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a MAC and a MATOC? I have researched the FAR and DFAR and from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a difference. The only difference I can see is that a MATOC specifies that there will be task orders (services) issued but with a MAC, there could be delivery orders (supplies) issued.

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between a MAC and a MATOC? I have researched the FAR and DFAR and from what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a difference. The only difference I can see is that a MATOC specifies that there will be task orders (services) issued but with a MAC, there could be delivery orders (supplies) issued.

A multiple agency contract can involve either task or delivery orders:

?Multi-agency contract (MAC)? means a task-order or delivery-order contract established by one agency for use by Government agencies to obtain supplies and services, consistent with the Economy Act (see 17.502-2). Multi-agency contracts include contracts for information technology established pursuant to 40 U.S.C. 11314(a)(2).

I think you will find the acronym MATOC more commonly in construction / A&E work.

MATOC is often used for services. We have at least 6 MATOCs here for services ranging from materials testing services to cultural resources services to repair services to meeting facilitation services. We also have several for construction and dredging. MATOCs for services is common.

Thanks napolik for your answer, but I should have specified my acronyms. In this case, MAC stands for Multiple Award Contracts and MATOC stands for Multiple Award Task Order Contracts. I didn't realize that MAC can also stand for Multi-Agency Contracts.

From everything that I have read, just about all solicitations and contracts that use MATOC are for construction. And in OMB's Best Practices for Multiple Award Task and Delivery Order Contracting (July 1997), they say MAC=MATOC. There must be some difference.

Thanks napolik for your answer, but I should have specified my acronyms. In this case, MAC stands for Multiple Award Contracts and MATOC stands for Multiple Award Task Order Contracts. I didn't realize that MAC can also stand for Multi-Agency Contracts.

From everything that I have read, just about all solicitations and contracts that use MATOC are for construction. And in OMB's Best Practices for Multiple Award Task and Delivery Order Contracting (July 1997), they say MAC=MATOC. There must be some difference.

Multi Agency Contract (MAC) is a term found in the FAR and in the Government Contracts Reference Book. FAR 16 does discuss a ?multiple award? preference for indefinite quantity contracts.

MATOC is an acronym I have heard and seen in discussions and in WIFCON posts. But, the FAR does not define MATOC, nor does the Reference Book, nor, as far as I can tell, does any Agency supplement to the FAR. These facts do not preclude their use - see FAR 1.102(d) and 1.102-4(e), whatever they are.

I do not know the definition of MATOC beyond the acronym. Any differences between a MAC and a MATOC are not contained in the procurement regulations.