Contractor or Vendor

Desparado

You can't buy a piece of bubblegum with 2 cents.

Yeah but unless you are at a gas station or a store with a penny jar, you cant buy lots of things without the last two cents to pay for it. The last two cents might mean they wont sell it to you. That is a sign that the clerk will have to make up the difference. B)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a negotiator. If I was short only 2 cents, I would get my bubblegum and bargain for a second piece.

Vern, the problem is that most clerks don't have any authority to negotiate with you or me.

In one of my Business Law courses, we learned that posted prices are negotiable, not set. However the employee must have authority to bargain, which they don't and most clerks cant override the price scanner to change the price. They must make up any difference between the till and the cash register tape. Smart ones will put out a "penny dish" to collect odd cents to help out those who are "2 cents short". B)

Interesting read!

In regard to "vendor", , , , some years ago I started work at a new company. My previous experience said that suppliers were "vendors". I was quickly corrected by my new boss; "Vendors are those who sell hot dogs on street corners. We deal with sellers."

And in regard to offer versus quote, , , , I still go around in circles with folks at my current job. There are those who will only issue RFPs as a matter of self importance, even though the requirement is for a standard drawing item with no mysteries involved, and all they are looking for is a "quote" anyway. At my previous job with a Very Large Contractor we dealt with sellers who had been "onboard" for decades and they knew how to work the system better than most employees! Well, , , , one of the new guys who came from another division issued a RFP for some standard parts and subsequently made an award to the lowest evaluated bidder without any further contact or discussions with the "losers". And well, , , , every one of the "losers" (all small businesses) wanted an "official" debrief as to why they did not get the job, which caused a really big stir in otherwise calm waters. All of the procurement group was called into an immediate, mandatory, meeting and were instructed in rather strong language that no one in the building was to ever issue a "RFP" again.

Guest Vern Edwards
Vern, the problem is that most clerks don't have any authority to negotiate with you or me.

In one of my Business Law courses, we learned that posted prices are negotiable, not set. However the employee must have authority to bargain, which they don't and most clerks cant override the price scanner to change the price. They must make up any difference between the till and the cash register tape. Smart ones will put out a "penny dish" to collect odd cents to help out those who are "2 cents short". :)

Listen to you! "Most" clerks don't have authority. How do you know that? How many of the world's clerks have you spoken to? In any case, that's why the words, "Where's your boss?" were first spoken.

I'm a negotiator. I've negotiated a discount for a toilet commode at a hardware store. I've negotiated a discount on a suit at Brooks Brothers. You're talking to a disciple of Chester Karras: ?In business, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.?

In regard to "vendor", , , , some years ago I started work at a new company. My previous experience said that suppliers were "vendors". I was quickly corrected by my new boss; "Vendors are those who sell hot dogs on street corners. We deal with sellers."

I've heard this before and find it baffling. Merriam-Webster, for example, defines a vendor as a "seller." 72A reporting, electronic mod submission, etc., is handled through GSA's vsc.gsa.gov, the Vendor Support Center.