One option CLIN a little different than the rest?

Sam101

I'm 99% sure that this is a dumb question but say you get a price proposal that looks like this:

Base Year CLIN 1: $5,000.00

Option Year 1 CLIN 101: $7,000.00

Option Year 2 CLIN 201: $6,000.00

Option Year 3 CLIN 301: $6,000.00

Option Year 4 CLIN 401: $6,000.00

It looks goofy like the offeror is trying to kind of spread out the loss of bidding low on CLINs 2 through 4 but it's probably not unbalanced pricing since it's not significant.

Is this common? I almost just want to award with making CLIN 2 be $6,000.00 and take it as an obvious clerical error, I don't want to enter into negotiations, or if I ask for clarification and they say they did it on purpose I'll want to say this just looks messed up and say it's $6,000.00 or you're out of the competition for unbalanced pricing... even though it's possibly not, in which case I can't say that they're out... has this happened to anyone before?

2 hours ago, Sam101 said:

Is this common?

I don't know.

2 hours ago, Sam101 said:

has this happened to anyone before?

Not to me.

Why don't you contact the offeror and ask for an explanation? That seems like the commonsense thing to do.

I don't know if your procurement is sole source or competitive. If it's competitive, then follow applicable rules about communicating after receipt of proposals.

I would suspect that the offeror is trying to recover a nonrecurring cost within the first two years. Maybe they have a high expectation that you'll exercise Option Year 1, but are not sure about the others. There could be a good reason. I wouldn't make an assumption that it's a clerical error.