Period of Performance

jwomack

Civilian agency. One year money.

CLIN 0001 = Nonseverable installation that takes 2 months to complete.

CLIN 0002 = Severable maintenance service. This CLIN cannot begin until the completion of CLIN 0001.

What is the longest period of performance CLIN 0002 may run (without issuing contract modifications)? 10 months? 12 months?

FAR 32.703-3(b ) says ??if the period of contract awarded, option exercised, or order placed does not exceed one year?. This makes me believe the longest POP possible for CLIN 0002 would be 10 months.

It depends on when you award the contract. CLIN 0002 could be for twelve months, if the installation ends and the maintenance starts during the current fiscal year. But if you award the contract in September, and installation will occur into November, then your need for maintenance services doesn't really start until November, which is in the next fiscal year -- in this case, you could not even award CLIN 0002.

But you might choose to look at the maintenance as inseparably connected with the installation, and a bona fide need of the current fiscal year -- I think this is driving your 10-month period for CLIN 0002. Your approach makes sense to me.

look at the maintenance as inseparably connected with the installation, and a bona fide need of the current fiscal year

I am comfortable saying the CLINs are inseparable (0001 would be useless if I didn?t also order 0002) and that I should use current money for both CLINs regardless of the time of year.

CLIN 0002 could be for twelve months,

Not sure I follow how CLIN 0002 could be for 12 months since I wouldn?t be able to start that CLIN until I?m two months into the contract (awaiting CLIN 0001?s completion). If CLIN 0002 ran for 12 months, the total contract length would then be 14 months, and would seemingly be in violation of FAR 32.703-3(b ).

I would like to make 0002 run for 12 months without a subsequent contract modification if someone could enlighten me on a way around, or provide a different interpretation of, FAR 32.703-3.