Simplified Acquisition Procedures

Yes, I've read it. I was hoping someone could tell me flat out. I feel it could be interpreted more than one way.

ERS, Please advise what you aren't clear about in FAR 13.000, thanks.

Breaking down the scope of the Part:

13.000 -- Scope of Part.

"This part prescribes policies and procedures for the acquisition of supplies and services, including construction, research and development, and commercial items, the aggregate amount of which does not exceed the simplified acquisition threshold (see 2.101)"...

..."Subpart 13.5 provides special authority for acquisitions of commercial items exceeding the simplified acquisition threshold but not exceeding $6.5 million ($12 million for acquisitions as described in 13.500(e)), including options."...

..."See part 12 for policies applicable to the acquisition of commercial items exceeding the micro-purchase threshold."...

..."See 36.602-5 for simplified procedures to be used when acquiring architect-engineer services."

Is it in the wording of "supplies and services"? Do you think it doesn't include those types of supplies and services less than the simplified acquisition threshold that are not commercial items?

Correct. I wasn't clear if that wording included those types of supplies and services less than the simplified acquisition threshold that are not commercial items?

Thank you,

Okay, to answer that, see this from 13.003 -- Policy.

"(a) Agencies shall use simplified acquisition procedures to the maximum extent practicable for all purchases of supplies or services not exceeding the simplified acquisition threshold (including purchases at or below the micro-purchase threshold)."...

Part 13 was around long before "commercial item" coverage was added in 1997. In my January 1996 version of FAR, 13.5 covers "Purchase Orders" and there is no mention of commercial items in 13.000