CLIN Structure

duke38

I am working on an FFP 8a contract to buy services in the form of hours. The contractor will be required to work part time 3 days a week (24hrs) with the ability to work to work full time 5 days a (40hr). I am trying to figure out how to base my CLINS on this method so the contractor can get paid. I know a T&M would fit this type of contract but that would take an act of congress to get passed in my organization and the PO is dead set against it. Has anyone dealt with a similar type situation, if so how did you breakout your CLINS?

I am working on an FFP 8a contract to buy services in the form of hours. The contractor will be required to work part time 3 days a week (24hrs) with the ability to work to work full time 5 days a (40hr). I am trying to figure out how to base my CLINS on this method so the contractor can get paid. I know a T&M would fit this type of contract but that would take an act of congress to get passed in my organization and the PO is dead set against it. Has anyone dealt with a similar type situation, if so how did you breakout your CLINS?

How about two CLINS:

001 - Three day week: XXX weeks @ $XXXX.XX per / week = FFP

002 - Five day week: XXX weeks @ $XXXX.XX per / week = FFP

If the program knows the qty of weeks that the offeror will have to work 3 days and / or 5 days, end of the problem but, if it cannot be determined the specific amount of weeks for each CLIN, you would be stuck with T&M.

How about two CLINS:

001 - Three day week: XXX weeks @ $XXXX.XX per / week = FFP

002 - Five day week: XXX weeks @ $XXXX.XX per / week = FFP

If the program knows the qty of weeks that the offeror will have to work 3 days and / or 5 days, end of the problem but, if it cannot be determined the specific amount of weeks for each CLIN, you would be stuck with T&M.

Yea that just it, they cannot determine when or how many weeks they will need and we are stuck with FFP. We thought about making two CLINs 1 on a 3 day work week and 1 for the other 2 days but it i still dont see how to acurately do this without having a predetermined work week.

Yea that just it, they cannot determine when or how many weeks they will need and we are stuck with FFP. We thought about making two CLINs 1 on a 3 day work week and 1 for the other 2 days but it i still dont see how to acurately do this without having a predetermined work week.

So how are they planning on funding it if they do not determine the level of effort required to do the work. (T&M/LOE). How are they planning to do the Government Cost Estimate? How are they expecting a contractor to propose if they do not even know when, or for how long they need performance? Very interesting...

The other alternative is that you truly have a Labor Hour contract. Either get your end users to define the statement of work sufficiently so that there is a end-deliverable or a particular level of service to be delivered (contractor shall provide x reviews a week, etc) so that the action can be fixed price, or engage them in assisting with the documentation you need to move forward with a T&M/Labor hour action. Sometimes there is no getting around it.

Using Hard2pick's suggestion - what if you make the 3 day week CLINs mandatory and the 5 day CLINs optional? You build your IGCE based on an assumption of XX lots (weeks) of the mandatory CLIN and YY lots of the optional CLIN. Contractor proposes 52 3 day work weeks and some set number of 5 day weeks that you dictate. Maybe you could even fund some of the optional 5 day weeks at time of award but put procedures in place for granting approval to utilize - similar to procedures for approving purchases or travel. If doable, could cut down on some post-award admin; otherwise you are doing short-notice mods every time they need a 5 day workweek.