Meals and Refreshments

Bjoe

I am sure everyone has had the wonderful experience of creating a Hotel / Conference contract with audio, food and miscellaneous items. I only have one element that confuses me every time; food.

There are a few GAO cases covering what is allowed for the government to contract for food and not many straight forward rules. This is where I think we need some strict guidance on what is or what is not allowed.

I recently made the determination to stick by the established Per Diem rates, for the menu selections at a Hotel / Conference. But the Federal Agency that I represented in this contract went to the top leadership to express their outrage because I said a $15 dollar per person lunch is all that I would allow; but they wanted the $55 dollar per person lunch because that is a choice on the menu.

One of the arguments they used to allow the cost is the guest speaker was speaking during lunch. We understand the Government can pay for meals in this case; however the fair and reasonable cost must be looked at.

I called the Hotel Service Manager and she developed a menu plan that was $15.00 plus gratuity. However the Agency Leadership was still outraged.

If Per Diem is $15.00 for lunch, and the agency is paying for the meal should I hold the agency to the $15.00 dollar limit, or should I let them pay $55.00? How do I justify price fair and reasonable?

My Lead CO made a great point, how would Lou Dobbs or Bill O'Reilly present this to the public; the fact that we allowed each Government employee a $55.00 meal.

Any guidance would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Bjoe

I don't think you will find something that strictly prohibits a higher price lunch. Even if you want to strictly enforce the per diem amounts, there are procedures to waive per diem in unusual circumstances. However that would be a real stretch since food is available within the per diem rates.

What everyone needs to be aware of is appearances to the public. Imagine the outrage if citizens hear their tax dollars are paying $55 lunches to government employees.

The restaurant has a menu with $15 items. Stick with that and explain to your senior management the repercussions.

Guest carl r culham

Bjoe - Have you, your senior CO and your agency executives made a full read of Volume 1, Chapter 4 of the GAO Principles of Federal Appropriation Law (aka Red Book)?