2nd Tier Subcontracting

I am sure this has been asked before but I have not seen an answer or thread.

Does 2nd tier subcontracting count towards the meetng the prime's small business sub goals in the prime contract ?. If not, why does the Large Business First Tier subcontractor have to complete a subplan for the prime?

Does the 2nd tier large business subcontractor have to track its own goals to the government and are these goals entirely separate from the prime sub goals? Under the same prime contract, this seems somewhat contradictory.

Does 2nd tier subcontracting count towards the meetng the prime's small business sub goals in the prime contract?

No. In fact, when the prime submits its individual subcontracting reports in eSRS, it must certify that the numbers reported do not include lower-tier subcontractors. This is from eSRS Quick Reference for Federal Government Prime Contractors filing an Individual Subcontracting Report :

12. Certification: This is a testament that the data being submitted on the report is accurate and that the dollars and percentages reported do not include lower tier subcontracts (except as set forth for ANC and Indian Tribes. For more information on the special legislation for ANC and Indian Tribes visit http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480277f33 (See FAC 2005-19). If you select ?No? your report will be rejected.
If not, why does the Large Business First Tier subcontractor have to complete a subplan for the prime?

Because the prime promised to get one if certain conditions apply. See FAR 52.219-9(d)(9)

Does the 2nd tier large business subcontractor have to track its own goals to the government and are these goals entirely separate from the prime sub goals? Under the same prime contract, this seems somewhat contradictory.

Yes. I suggest you spend some time reading through the material on the eSRS Web site.