Construction Solicitation - Commerical Item

shinaku

On slower Friday afternoons I sometimes browse through FBO to peruse what other offices in my federal agency are doing...to compare notes so to speak and also, I will admit, for entertainment purposes.

Today, I took a look at a recently posted "Recovery" Solicitation. Now, I have seen this done before and I don't agree with it but whatever....

I looked at a construction for buidling roofing solicitation done as a Commerical item, with SF-1449, the commercial terms and conditions but with the added clauses for bonding, the Davis Bacon Wages, etc. And....it said prominently "100% Set aside for Small Business" and they even had the estimated price range....between $250K and $500K. (Small Business Competitive Demo Act...did that go away???)

On slower Friday afternoons I sometimes browse through FBO to peruse what other offices in my federal agency are doing...to compare notes so to speak and also, I will admit, for entertainment purposes.

Today, I took a look at a recently posted "Recovery" Solicitation. Now, I have seen this done before and I don't agree with it but whatever....

I looked at a construction for buidling roofing solicitation done as a Commerical item, with SF-1449, the commercial terms and conditions but with the added clauses for bonding, the Davis Bacon Wages, etc. And....it said prominently "100% Set aside for Small Business" and they even had the estimated price range....between $250K and $500K. (Small Business Competitive Demo Act...did that go away???)

Shinaku, DOD small business set-asides for construction are back, from what I've been told. I don't agree that building roofing systems are "commercial items", especially with the massive problems in the industry with quality, workmanship, warranties, etc. I read an air Force article once that said - "Dont ever technical advice from roofing contractors". I have done several "autopsies" on "roofing problems from Hell", over the years.

• 4 weeks later...

Your post essentially asked two questions 1) can construction be done as a commercial item and 2) what happened to the comp demo program

1) OMB OFPP memo dated July 3, 2002, while cautioning about the use of Part 12 in some cases, explicitly allows the use of Part 12 for construction, especially for non-complex construction.

2) The comp demo program exists, but FAR 19.1007b1 states that "agencies may reinstate the use of small business setasides

as necessary to meet their assigned goals, but only within organizational units that failed to meet the small business participation goal." That may be the case for the unit that posted that solicitation.

Mike

Your post essentially asked two questions 1) can construction be done as a commercial item and 2) what happened to the comp demo program

1) OMB OFPP memo dated July 3, 2002, while cautioning about the use of Part 12 in some cases, explicitly allows the use of Part 12 for construction, especially for non-complex construction.

2) The comp demo program exists, but FAR 19.1007b1 states that "agencies may reinstate the use of small business setasides

as necessary to meet their assigned goals, but only within organizational units that failed to meet the small business participation goal." That may be the case for the unit that posted that solicitation.

Mike

No questions asked in any seriousness. I was making an observation on the "awareness" factor there. Agency, that sub-agency in particular has abosolutely no problems with attaining their small biz goals.

• 1 year later...
No questions asked in any seriousness. I was making an observation on the "awareness" factor there. Agency, that sub-agency in particular has abosolutely no problems with attaining their small biz goals.

The Small Business Competitiveness Demonstration Program has been repealed. I was just on the SBA web site and noticed. It was repealed by Section 1335 of the Jobs Act of 2010, signed by President Obama on September 27th. It was effective October 1, 2010.