Stuck with 1449 for Commercial Service Source Selection?

JTSurfah

53.215-1 -- Solicitation and Receipt of Proposals.

53.212 -- Acquisition of Commercial Items.

Between the above, and 12.102? which states that "when a policy in another part of this chapter is inconsistent with a policy in this part, this Part 12 shall take precedence for the acquisition of commercial items" it looks like I'm stuck with using a 1449? Is it possible to use the UCF with a 1449?

In case it matters: I'm doing a > than 50 million dollar source selection for commercial services for O&M of communications equipment and facilities, and IT support. In the past it has been done as a non-commercial acquisition, but after much debate, we've made a commercial determination this time around. Feel free to shoot holes in this determination as well.

Thanks!

Guest Vern Edwards

When buying commercial items you must use the commercial item format described in FAR 12.303, which is called, umm, let's see: "Contract format." Why do you want to use the UCF? Is use of the commercial item format impracticable for some reason?

Why would anyone "shoot holes" in your commercial item determination, since (a) you described the requirement as one for "commercial services" and (2) you didn't give us enough information to enable any of us to make an independent assessment? If you think the requirement is for commercial services, why should anyone here disagree with you on the basis of anything you have told us?

When buying commercial items you must use the commercial item format described in FAR 12.303, which is called, umm, let's see: "Contract format." Why do you want to use the UCF? Is use of the commercial item format impracticable for some reason?

Why would anyone "shoot holes" in your commercial item determination, since (a) you described the requirement as one for "commercial services" and (2) you didn't give us enough information to enable any of us to make an independent assessment? If you think the requirement is for commercial services, why should anyone here disagree with you on the basis of anything you have told us?

Vern, you're in great form, today. I agree with you B)

Thanks! You helped with my secondary questions. For what it's worth, many SATCOM and CE (communications electronics) contracts are done non-commercial - including the predecessors to the consolidated group I'm working on. I appear to be going slightly against the grain. Anyway, there's a long history behind why I asked seemingly obvious, possilbly even stupid questions, but I won't bore you with the details.

The primary question was whether or not I am required to use an 1149.

Guest Vern Edwards

"The primary question was whether or not I am required to use an 1149."

I am not familiar with any form numbered 1149. If you mean SF 1449, the answer is yes. See FAR 12.303(a) and 53.212.

Aren't there circumstances under which an SF 1449 is not required when acquiring commercial items?

12.204 Solicitation/contract form.

(a) The contracting officer shall use the Standard Form 1449, Solicitation/Contract/Order for Commercial Items, if (1) the acquisition is expected to exceed the simplified acquisition threshold; (2) a paper solicitation or contract is being issued; and (3) procedures at 12.603 are not being used. Use of the SF 1449 is nonmandatory but encouraged for commercial acquisitions not exceeding the simplified acquisition threshold.

Obviously, the SF1449 is not required for actions under the SAT, but it would appear that it is also only mandatory for procurements above the SAT in cases where all of the three conditions above are met. How many contract offices issue paper solicitations or contracts anymore?

Guest Vern Edwards
How many contract offices issue paper solicitations or contracts anymore?

I don't know. Do you?

If the solicitation is posted at FBO as a Word or pdf document for printing, does that count as a paper document? What about contracts? If they are emailed in Word of pdf, do they count as issued on paper?

Why the inquiry? What's wrong with SF 1449? What's the alternative? Another form? No form? Why spend time pondering that issue?