Meet or Exceed??

Maureen

Does anyone know if the FAR makes use of the terms "Meet or Exceed" when it comes to the evaluation of submitted quotes? We sometimes toss these terms about so casually, but I am trying to find out if the FAR actually recognizes them.

Thanks.

My colleagues in our pre-award division use the terminology for simplified acquisition purchases, presumably because "it's what we've always done." One of them wanted to find out exactly what "meet or exceed" is supposed to mean in terms of evaluation of quotations received against the criteria in the solicitation. You get so used to hearing the terms that you believe there is FAR coverage. I am guilty of it myself. I am guessing that what I need to examine is the idea of brand name or equal, maybe?

I was just interested in knowing if anyone had a similar understanding, or if it was one of those things that just grew around our office into some sort of unspecified standard.

Thank you!

I'll bite

The simplified acquisition is described in subpart 13.1 ? 13.101(a) contracting officers shall (1) Comply with the policy in 7.202 relating to economic purchase quantities, when practicable.

7.202 (a) Agencies are required by 10 U.S.C. 2384(a) and 41 U.S.C. 253f to procure supplies in such quantity as (1) Will result in the total cost and unit cost most advantageous to the Government, where practicable; and (2) Does not exceed the quantity reasonably expected to be required by the agency.

I?m not sure if your office's definition of "exceeds" means most advantageous to the Government or "exceeds" the requirements of the solicitations. If it's the latter, I think you may be unfairly considering criteria not in the solicitation as basis for your decision.

Maureen,

If you are discussing simplified, I think you are talking about determining whether or not a proposed item ?meets or exceeds? the salient characteristics listed in a brand name or equal description. See FAR 11.104.

If that is the case then I don?t believe the words carry any special meaning.

For example, a radio must have a power rating of 5 ohms. If that is the only requirement then the proposed product ?meets or exceeds? the requirement when anything 5 ohms or greater is provided.

Is this what you are talking about?

Guest Vern Edwards

I think Darby has the right idea. I have always heard "meets or exceeds" in the context of a requirement. "An item is acceptable if it meets or exceeds the requirements in the specification."

To me, that is a clear and meaningful expression. Not everything has to be officially defined.

Darby and Vern are correct. I think we have taken the idea of ?meets or exceeds? the salient characteristics listed in a brand name or equal description and turned it into something more generic, not necessarily connecting to a brand name or equal solicitation. Thanks for the help!

My contracting team often uses the expression ?meets or exceeds? in a solicitation when using the Lowest Price Technically Acceptable (LPTA) source selection process in accordance with guidelines provided under FAR 15.101-2(B)(1). ? ?.. Solicitations shall specify that award will be made on the basis of the lowest evaluated price of proposals meeting or exceeding the acceptability standards for non-cost factors?.? This gives Offerors a clear idea that all technical quotes/proposals that meet or exceed the requirement will be considered technically acceptable equally and there will be no technical ranking.