service contract extension beyond five years

Hello all..

So we are behind on recompeteing a service contract. It's been extended a couple times and is beyond 5 years. We were hopeful of getting the new contract in place on time but that's not going to happen, so we are seeking to do a six month extension, which will remedy the situation. Is there anything preventing me from doing this? We already know we are going with the encumbant contractor (NIB / NISH/ AbilityOne) because of statute/regulation. Thanks in advance..

So we are behind on recompeteing a service contract. ... We already know we are going with the encumbant contractor (NIB / NISH/ AbilityOne) because of statute/regulation.

You mention AbilityOne, so I take it you aren't really recompeting anything, right? Awards under FAR Subpart 8.7 don't require either a synopsis or a J&A. It sounds like you should be worrying more about scope of the contract than scope of the competition. In other words, if you can get agreement on price for the new work, you should be good to go. What am I missing?

I'm not worried about competition.. We wont get a bid from them any time soon, then it needs to be negotiated.. so we are looking at months of work ahead. It is a concern about the time we have been extending the current contract. We are well beyond 5 years of current contract time. We want to extend it another 6 months. Basically I'm wondering if it's a problem to do so.

Why are you bothered by the fact that the contract is beyond five years?

I'm assuming that his contract contains 52.217.9 ( c ) with "The total duration of this contract, including the exercise of any options under this clause, shall not exceed 5 years."

No, I dont believe the current contract contains such a clause. I am doing some research into the matter because one of my COs is under the impression that 5 years is a magic number and that somehow we cant go any further. I'm still pretty new so I dont know all about this yet, so I'm researching and going through the FAR for answers... But I cant find anything prohibiting doing another 6 month extension..